POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : And today, C# : Re: And today, C# Server Time
10 Oct 2024 21:17:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: And today, C#
From: Invisible
Date: 12 Feb 2008 11:18:10
Message: <47b1c6c2$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:
> Invisible wrote:
>
>> ...so they implemented Java's flawed MI-but-not-MI model? How is that
>> fixing the flaws from other major programming languages?
>
> Ever attempted to use multiple inheritance in C++?

No.

Given that I can't handle C and C++ is more complicated, I figured it
was just a bad idea. ;-)

> Things get really
> interesting when you have more than one base class, and some members
> overlap.

Ever tried to use multiple inheritance in Eiffel?

Since I am presumably the only person here who has ever heard of Eiffel,
let me go over it.

Suppose that class A inherits from classes B and C, which themselves
inherit from D. Suppose that D defines an attribute called, say, banana.
That means that B and C each have a copy of banana. In A, these two
copies are automatically merged by default.

Alternatively, you can rename one (or both) copies to something else.

Stop and think about that for a moment.

Suppose I rename the banan from B to banana_b and the other to banana_c.
That means that anybody who tries to access "banana" through the B
interface actually gets banana_b, anybody trying to access "banana"
through the C interface gets banana_c instead, and anybody trying to
access the A interface directly can see two seperate bananas. A similar
thing happens with methods. [Except that you can override both inherited
methods, or rename one, or...]

It's funny really. Eiffel's slogan is "Simple. Elegant. Powerful." That
first is *highly* debatable...

> Use C# for a while, especially the newer version (3.0) It's actually
> quite nice. I've sort of grown to like it since I've started actually
> using it. C++ish syntax, some stuff borrowed from Java.

It sounds like it's fixed a few of the things that makes C and C++ so
impossible. I'm still not sure I'd like it very much. [And I'm certainly
not keen to shell out money to find out.]

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/